Friday, April 1, 2011

The Screwtape Letters

Have any of you read this book yet? Because if you haven't...you should really get on that. It's completely life changing, eye-opening. And the fact that it's written by C.S. Lewis just adds to it's greatness. A friend of mine posted on her blog about the book and after reading it I knew that I needed to read the book again. (I think I read it for the first time maybe a year ago.) But here's the problem. You cannot read this book fast. Which is what I tried to do the first time I read it, and... it was not the greatest idea. The ideas and intellect behind this book are so deep, that you really can only read one letter a day. (The book is written in letters that are from Screwtape, an advanced devil, to his nephew Wormtail who is a beginner devil.)
But here is my idea for the next time I read it!
I am going to make a huge gospel study out of it. Because this book is loaded with gospel jewels, gleaming and shining, waiting for you to see them and  understand. So my idea is to take each letter and study it out as if I were doing one of my scripture studies. The letters are written in how to best tempt the human, so I would twist that and write up notes on how best to avoid that type of temptation in my life. I don't know if you understand how epic this study is going to be, but if you've read the book...oh, you know.

But as I always do, I will leave you with some quotes from this beloved book. (Mal has some great quotes on her blog so I'll post some different ones for you.)

"If you can once get him to the point of thinking that 'religion is all very well up to a point,' you can feel quite happy about his soul. A moderated religion is as good for us as no religion at all."

"Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts."

"The Enemy wants him, in the end, to be so free from any bias in his own favor that he can rejoice in his own talents as frankly and gratefully as in his neighbor's talents."

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."

No comments: