Saturday, April 23, 2011

Jane Eyre

I tried reading this book a long time ago when I was younger, and I was just so bored and couldn't get through it in the least, so I left it untouched after that. Well, I have trained Natalie in my good taste of books and for her to be so in love with this book, was questionable to me. And I couldn't allow my younger sister to surpass me with reading and loving classics that I haven't read all the way through so... I of course had to attempt the book again. Plus there's a Jane Eyre frenzy going on right now with the new movie released so I jumped on the bandwagon. And I love the broadway music for Jane Eyre, so why not read the book and get a much clearer understanding of the storyline?
I don't know where I got stuck in the book when I was younger, because I did not think any of it was too slow, or dragging. I love that language. I wish we still spoke like that. I love the conversations they have, Mr. Rochester's personality is completely bewitching and I love it. Jane is fantastic, she is a perfect mix of independence, womanhood, strength, values, intelligence etc...
Also, what a great love story! And it has substance and depth to it. I love how they study each other out in silent ways for months, learning character by actions done. Neither Jane nor Edward are extremely attractive and gorgeous, (except in my mind, Edward is completely handsome) so it's not just vain, superficial love. They do think each other is attractive, but they are in love with the person itself and not appearance, because appearance was not what first attracted them.
Anyways, I'm just in love with this story. And side note, the broadway music is fantastic and guess what else? They use direct lines from the book in the lyrics. Basically I was hearing Jane/Edwards voice in my head (from the soundtrack) while I read the book. Completely fantastic.

1 comment:

amberly said...

i'm so glad. i knew you would love it.