Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Batik

Batik. Have you ever heard of it? It's art. And it's basically amazing and kind of blows my mind away. You must start off knowing exactly what you're picture is going to look like. It has to be all planned out.
Essentially you start off with a white cloth, you put hot wax on the areas that you want to stay white for the ending picture. Then you dip the cloth into a bath dye of the lightest color. After it's dried you put wax on the parts that you want to stay that lightest color. Then you dip again in a darker color and repeat until finally you have dipped the cloth in all the colors and you have wax over almost the whole cloth. After that you hot iron the cloth between sheets of absorbent paper to remove the wax, and done, you have your image. I know it sounds slightly simple but check out these images. I'm thoroughly impressed. 


I think this needs to be added to my art projects to try. I did find a place that offers lessons for a mere $400 for 3 months... but alas the class is located in Southeast Asia. 

No comments: