Friday, August 27, 2010

Chalk Art

This break has not been very kind to me in aspects of chalk art. There are certain rules one must observe if they want a good piece of artwork.

Rule #1: Check the weather. Find a week where the chance of rain is slim to none.
Rule #2: Find a good area. Sidewalk is everywhere and you have your pick of the lot, but you'll want to find a nice flat, smooth chunk of sidewalk. Make sure it's not in an area where tires will be bound to run over it. (At least until you're done and the art has been captured on camera.)
Rule #3: Find a good substitute for skin. (I'm still trying to figure this one out.)
See, I like using my fingers because I feel like I have more control, especially when I get into those skinny strips of coloring. But unfortunately I manage to rub off a good layer of skin in the process. (To put my anatomy and physiology class to good use, I rubbed off my stratum corneum layer of the epidermis) Ha.

And Rule #4: try to finish within 2-3 days. I promise, the longer you take and keep putting it off, the more the color will have worn off from previous work.

My dad has suggested his leather gloves to use next time. Hopefully those will work better then a rag... do NOT use a rag unless you want stray edges smearing your hard work, and huge piles of black chalk that you have to blow away but can't do an efficient enough job because your lack of powerful lungs. It worked nice to smooth out my black guy on the logo, but created a mess at the same time.

I attempted 2 pieces of chalk art work this break. The first was the Chesire cat from Alice in Wonderland.
Disney Characters - cheshire cat
My plan was to keep the trees in my pictures, but instead of the black background, use the sidewalk as the coloring...therefore less chalk work and the cat would look more see-through in the ribbon area of the body.
And that's how far I got before it rained the next day or so...

My next attempt was the logo from the FIFA World Cup 2010. It's an awesome logo.
And I did really well and got really far! Was working on my shading and all... But after I got this much done...
My fingers were raw (as shown in previous picture.) So I had to give myself a couple days recovery time so I could use my fingers again and finish my almost done masterpiece. Do you know how strange it is not to have that layer of skin? Things were colder on just those two fingertips. Showers were no fun when rubbing in shampoo and conditioner. Driving a hot steering wheel hurt like heck so for a couple days those fingers became unused.  

But of course with this ridiculous Utah summer we've had... it rained. 














So... any ideas for a new chalk art drawing?

No comments: