Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 6

My Favorite Book.

Can you guess?
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand of course. Well, okay I have a handful of books that are in my top, so lets say this is one of my favorite books.
Would you like some quotes? Done.

"Here are my rules: what can be done with one substance must never be done with another. No two materials are alike. No two sites on earth are alike. No two buildings have the same purpose. The purpose, the site, the material determine the shape. Nothing can be reasonable or beautiful unless it's made by one central idea, and the idea sets every detail. A building is alive, like a man. Its integrity is to follow its own truth, its one single theme, and to serve its own single purpose. A man doesn't borrow pieces of his body. A building doesn't borrow hunks of its soul. Its maker gives it the soul and every wall, window and stairway to express it."

"Well, have I taught you anything? I'll tell you: I've taught you a great deal and nothing. No one can teach you anything, not at the core, at the source of it. What you're doing- it's yours not mine, I can only teach you to do it better. I can give you the means, but the aim- the aim's your own."

"When you see a man casting pearls without getting even a pork chop in return- it is not against the swine that you feel indignation. It is against the man who valued his pearls so little that he was willing to fling them into the muck and to let them become the occasion for a whole concert of grunting, transcribed by the court stenographer."

No comments: