Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday Hymns

All the songs we sang today in sacrament were some of my favourites. Some sundays you get hymns that you've never heard of and the melody just isn't there--but today wasn't one of them.
The first hymn was #89 The Lord is My Light. "The Lord is my light; then why should i fear? The Lord is my light, my all and in all. There is in his sight no darkness at all." I love the lyrics in this hymn. They are profound and simple. Why should i fear if i have the Lord in my life? How can i in darkness remain if Jesus is forever reigning in glory? The Lord is my light, my joy, my song. By day and by night he leads me along.

The secod hymn was #172 In Humility, Our Savior. "Let me not forget, O Savior, Thou didst bleed and die for me. Fill our hearts with sweet forgiving; Teach us tolerance and love." Mindy Gledhill sings a beautiful version of this hymn. The alto line is amazing, how it moves and gives feeling. My BMT sister and I switch parts every verse. I start as soprano, she as alto. I love hearing the harmony and singing it.

The third hymn was #85 How Firm a Foundation and it would've been more spiritual had i not been hiccoping loudly while trying to sing. The words were distorted as i sang/hiccoped my way through the song. We were all laughing. "What more can he say than to you he hath said, who unto the Savior for refuge have fled? Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed, For I am they God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand."