Friday, February 6, 2009

The Fountainhead

Warm falls apart every so gently in your mouth fresh out of the oven home made wheat bread = divine goodness


5 days until i'm legal!!


I finished The Fountainhead which is easily one of my top favorite books. It's so well written and developed, I definitely know I'm only scratching the surface of really understanding the hidden themes and meanings even though this was my second time reading it. Here are some quotes from the book.
“That’s the sort of thing I want you to understand, To sell your soul is the easiest thing in the world. That’s what everybody does every hour of his life. If I ask you to keep your soul, would you understand why that is much harder.”

“I often think that he’s the only one of us who’s achieved immortality. I don’t mean in the sense of fame and I don’t mean that he won’t die some day. But he’s living it. I think he is what the conception really means. You know how people long to be eternal. But they die with every day that passes. When you meet them, they’re not what you met last. In any given hour, they kill some part of themselves. They change, they deny, they contradict–and they call it growth. At the end there’s nothing left, nothing unrevered or unbetrayed; as if there had never been any entity, only a succession of adjectives fading in and out on an unformed mass. How do they expect a permanence which they have never held for a single moment? But Howard–one can imagine him existing forever.”

“a house can have integrity, just like a person,” said Roark, “and just as seldom.”

Toohey presses the issue, saying: “Mr. Roark, we’re alone here. Why don’t you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us.” and Roark replies, “But I don’t think of you.”

1 comment:

Amberly said...

i like you. how exciting that your birthday is soon! i'll have to read that book for sure. love your new blog background. fabulousa!