Monday, May 17, 2010

A Run

I went on a run to the temple tonight.
It's absolutely uphill the entire way there.
It was a hard run for me.
Firstly, I haven't been running for a good long amount of time, let alone running up hills.
Secondly, Rexburg is known for it's wind, and I was running against it.
There were times when a motorcycle would drive past me, and I would want to stick out my thumb and hitch a ride up to the temple.
There were moments when someone on a bike would ride past me, and I'd want to take their bike just to get up there faster.
But what is the point of going on a run for physical exercise if you ride on a motorcycle?

I'm going to the temple tomorrow.
There absolutely is a lot of homework that I need to get done tomorrow.
It's going to be a long day for me.
Sometimes it's hard to get to the temple. Sometimes it's hard to have an amazing hard rock testimony. Sometimes the journey is just hard.
There are times when you might see a motorcycle drive past, and you want to hitch a ride. Sometimes you just want to ride on your parents testimony to finish the journey.
Sometimes you want to borrow someones bike, you only make the decision to go because a friend is going.
But what is the point of having difficulties in life in order to strengthen you, if you want to ride off of everyone else? There is not strengthening of yourself if you won't carry the load.

Sometimes it's hard to start a habit. It's hard to read your scriptures everyday, pray morning and night. It's hard to find room in a busy college schedule to attend the temple.
It's hard to run. It's hard to run hills. The first run will knock you out. But in order to get better, don't you have to keep running? You have to continually run those hills in order to strengthen your muscles. Just as you must continually live each aspect of the gospel in order to strengthen your testimony. It won't come in one easy day, one nice jog around the track. You'll have your challenges in life that will test you. You'll run against the wind sometimes. But if you don't, how are you ever to improve?

It's those hard uphill moments that will make you or break you. You are ultimately the only one who can decide which direction you'll go. You can take the challenges and improve, learn, gain strength. It's only through your own legs that you can reach your destination. It's only through your own testimony that you can do what you are meant to do.

Those hills, that wind, it's going to make me.

No comments: