Wednesday, February 23, 2011

D&C Predicament

So I'm taking a Doctrine and Covenants class right, because I am trying to gain a greater love/appreciation for this book of scripture. My religion teacher that taught D&C in seminary, I wasn't too fond of. It was his first semester teaching and I was too above him to try and deal with his teaching method, which I did not like very much. So I did not read or pay much attention in class. How sad right? Well last year I did read the Doctrine and Covenants on my own and I used the books, Doctrine and Covenants Made Easier, which I loved. But I still didn't feel like I had a very good grasp on the overview and history behind the sections. So I decided to take it as my last religion class here at BYU-Idaho.

So this is my little miff about this class. We are at midterms and guess what section we are STILL in? Yes, section 2. Do you know how many verses are in that section? 3. Yes, 3 verses. Now it is on the Abrahamic Covenant which is completely vital and necessary to go over and will come into play in multiple areas of the Doctrine and Covenants... but we have spent 5 weeks on this topic. That's 10 hours of classroom time. I know that there's a lot of depth to this subject but I had a hard time following how my professor was teaching. He likes to take very round about ways of answering questions. By the time you get to the actual answer you have no idea REALLY what the answer is, and you've forgotten the question. Fantastic. So I guess this is all frustrating to me because I came into this class wanting to soak up D&C and so far we've been reading from every other book except D&C.

But then I take a step out of me, myself and I, and realize that yes my professor knows so much more than me and if this is something that he feels worth talking about for 5 weeks, then I should pay better attention and get off my high horse and humble myself down a bit.

It's not like I'm not even wanting to go learn about the gospel, it's just that I had a different scenario built up in my mind and I'm getting something completely different. I don't enjoy it much. But alas, that is life and I must learn to compensate and improve in whatever situation I am dealt.

No comments: