Sunday, July 4, 2010

Thoughts on a Sunday

I hate to admit it, but my thoughts this morning sounded something like this...
Oh crap it's 4th of July weekend, everyone is out of town, it's fast Sunday, no one is going to be at church, no one is going to bear their testimony, it's going to be an awkward sacrament meeting with long tense silences, and I'm already hungry...

But I'll have you know, that I have an amazing ward. There was not one awkward drawn out pause. And what I love about this semester, is that I feel like I actually know my ward. That the people that get up and bear their testimonies are my friends that I've hung out with. And they are such great examples to me and I'm grateful to know them. It's going to be sad moving out of this ward, but I think that in my next ward, I'll be even more outgoing, because I know what comes from a close ward family.

I was reading out of my notebook that I take with me to church, or when I'm reading scriptures and I read one of the poems that my great grandpa wrote. I already posted it earlier but I want to post it again.

God bless you and I breathe a charm
Lest grief's dark night oppress you.
Then how can sorrow bring thee harm
If it's God's way to bless you?

And so not all they days are fair
And shadows touch thee never;
But here's my wish,
God bless you through the years
That thou be safe my dear forever.

The line that caught my attention the most today was, "Then how can sorrow bring thee harm if it's God's way to bless you?" And I just thought about that a lot. If God is trying to bless our life and teach us, then why must we sorrow? And if we are sorrowing, and are troubled with life, how can it bring us harm, inflict damage, if we are trusting in God's hand?

In relief society today we talked about the spirit, and how it manifests itself and how we can recognize it in our lives. We were talking about decisions and how you cannot just say, "I'll do whatever you want me to do Lord," as you wait and not move. You have to make the decisions, plan out your life, and then if God's will is different, trust in his arm and follow. He won't show us what to do, until we start moving first. In 3 Nephi 17:9 it says, "He did heal them every one as they were brought forth unto Him." They were healed as they were brought forth. It was only after they made the decision to walk to Him, that he could heal them. We then brought up prayer, and how if we are continually praying and not forgetful when life is easy, that we will be able to recognize the spirit more. And I thought about that with my school work, if I don't study for a test but then pray for help, I feel like I really don't have the right to ask for his help. If I don't do all that I can do, and if I only rely on blessings that maybe I don't deserve, then how can I ever grow? I put my all into studying for test. It's almost ridiculous the measure I go through in order to know my material. But once I do that, then I am comforted asking the Lord for his help. I must do all that I can, but then I still must turn to the Lord. If you are sick, use the resources that have been provided, but still ask the Father for his help in helping the medication work. We cannot just say, "No, I won't take medication, I'll only ask for blessings." The Lord has already provided a way to heal us here on earth! We have to take advantage of our surroundings. If we prepare to the best of our abilities here on earth, then the Lord will carry us the rest of the way. If we are consistently trying to have the Spirit in our life, then he will be there to help us.  He will manifest himself to us in the ways that are understandable to us. He will bless our lives.

Parley P. Pratt said, "The gift of the Holy Ghost adapts itself to all these organs or attributes. It quickens all the intellectual faculties, increases, enlarges, expands and purifies all the natural passions and affections; and adapts them, by the gift of wisdom, to their lawful use. It inspires, develops, cultivates and matures all the fine-tones sympathies, joys, tastes, kindred feelings and affections of our nature. It inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness and charity. It develops beauty of person, form and features. It tends to health, vigor, animation and social feeling. It develops and invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man. It strengthens, invigorates, and gives tone to the nerves. In short, it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being."

I know that the Spirit works itself in my life and guides me. I had no idea where I wanted to go to college my senior year of high school. I just hadn't researched that much. I came up to BYU-Idaho because my cousins dragged me up here. They talked me into going to this school and I am forever grateful to them for getting me up here. I have been blessed with a wonderful ward, good surroundings, opportunities everywhere to improve myself, an education that I care about and much more. This school has improved me and I've even felt weird at home not wearing long pants. Sometimes I whine and complain about how the sun just soaks up my dark jeans and burns me as I trudge my way up to the Ricks building...which is at the top of the hill...but after being in Idaho Falls last night for the fireworks show where so many young young girls were tromping around in these tiny shorts...I'm just glad I don't have to see that here at school.

I love being here. I love learning. I love growth and understanding. I miss home though...especially when they go for bike rides, have crepes with the Tour de France on in the background. I just can't create the same scene up here like it is at home. But I appreciate these experiences that I am able to have, to learn and to grow. They bless my life immensely as I learn to be more righteous.

I know it's the 4th of July and I haven't said one thing about this country, but I know that without this country, the gospel would not have been able to start. This is a blessed nation and I am thankful to be here. How lucky am I to not only be in this free nation, but born a member of the church into the wonderful family that I have.

Happy 4th of July everyone.

No comments: