Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Where To Live

I've been doing a little apartment shopping for when I move down to Provo next year and I'm not fully sure which direction to go. I've lived with 4, 6, and 8 people. I've lived in on campus apartments, off campus apartments, and a house. I've had a washer/dryer in my apartment, and coin operated ones. I've always have had a dishwasher. I haven't always had cable. I've never had my own room.

I've been checking out a few places on vacancy.com and I'm liking the idea of Heritage House. 

Now from my few experiences I have come to find some very necessary details. 

1. Washer/dryer in the apartment is a HUGE plus. I absolutely hate the coin machines. I hardly ever use cash which means I hardly ever own quarters, especially in copious amounts just to wash a load of laundry. Also, who likes carrying their dirty laundry across the apartments where everyone can see? And I swear I'm always cursed with the apartment furthest away from the laundry room. 
So far, Heritage House is looking good, washer/dryer included in the amenities list!

2. I really don't mind sharing a room so private rooms aren't a necessity for me but I have found that I enjoy living with a good number of people. (Good number meaning more than 4 but 8 is probably the limit.) Well, Heritage House has 6 private bedrooms, that would be a first for me but I definitely won't argue with those living arrangements. 

3. Bathrooms are very important. They can either make or break an apartment. My last semester we had tons of counter space, lots of mirrors, and plentiful outlets. (Just a reminder that I was living with 8 girls so that was an absolute need.) We didn't have the greatest showers, and essentially it was 4 girls to a bathroom but it was really just one large space. There are lots of fond memories in that beloved space. Do you remember our beloved chair?  Oh the loved memories of staying up late in the bathroom talking, nail painting parties, headbanging parties, music as loud as it will go while you shower, constant singing. Twas a good bathroom.
(I don't think Heritage House will have the same magical qualities but it's okay, we've taken the number down to only 3 to a bathroom.)

4. The kitchen is another area of large importance. I love dishwashers. And sadly, Heritage House doesn't have one. Instead it has 2 fridges, which is great when you live with 8 people, but there's only 6 living there. I think I would much rather have a dishwasher instead. 

5. And lastly the living room, the area of living, plays an important role in social entertaining. The house I lived in last semester was lacking serious proportions for the ideal living room. It was seriously tiny. But no matter. We made due and had a blast anyways. (Picture below shows how we would rearrange the living room for projector movie watching. It was terrible trying to get in or out of the apartment with the furniture this way. You could hardly open the door because the love sac was right in the middle of everything.)
But don't worry, the living room looks acceptable in Heritage House and after dealing with the Sunset Hall living room, I'm sure anything else will be just perfect. 

Anyways, check out Heritage Hall and if you have any suggestions for me on other lovely abodes to live in, tell me!

1 comment:

Fantabulous Lil P said...

I MISS YOU! & that horribly crowded living room