Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tuesdays with Morrie

For my CNA class, we have to do 24 hours of clinical work. And all of mine are at a long term care facility. And, i really don't know why, but uhhh the old people, sometimes I'd just rather not. No offense meant please to grandparents. I love you :D but the ones i dint know, that seem crazy and need help with things I'm not sure i want to do... makes me nervous.

We watched Tuesdays with Morrie in my CNA class today and it really got to me. I've been so selfish in my thoughts, I've overlooked that they're people that have lived a glorious life. So seeing this old, frail man with all his wisdom, who yeah he couldn't walk anymore, his hands shook and it embarrassed him, he changed my sight. It's so important when working in a hospital or LTC to realize that you're working with someone who probably doesn't want your help but they know they need it. They weren't put in there for fun, and it's definitely not fun being there. So when you put your heart out there, i believe they can teach you and help you, as much as you can help them.

Now, this doesn't change the fact that I am sooo nervous! to go work an 8 hour shift in a LTC. The people there will only be thinking that I'm another nurse whose certified and is just working, when i actuality I'm just a student. Which definitely puts some pressure on my shoulders. But it'll be such a good learning experience for me.

No comments: